In my hand is a postcard depicting the former location of Tubbert’s, a popular restaurant that once operated at 304 Court Street. The back of the postcard acknowledges Tubbert’s most famous items, including fish, lobster, frog, steak and chicken dinner. Notably missing is a mention of their famous bread that Joe Ganley recalled in a 1987 article with the Syracuse Herald American stating, “Served with the dinner was a special brown bread, a feature of the restaurant, served with butter in more than plentiful portions.”
Recently, local writer and food blogger, Margaret McCormick, found the exact recipe for the bread in her mother’s recipe file, clipped from a Syracuse Herald-Journal insert.
Margaret decided to prepare the bread and you can read a review on her blog, Eat First, by clicking here.
The restaurant itself opened in 1934 and was owned by Rose Tubbert, a northside resident who had operated several restaurants before settling into this location with her second husband, William Ryan. Rose had met William through her work and made him the Manager.
Prior to the restaurant, the building was known as a three-story residential mansion that dates back to the early 1800s. The home was of colonial design and built by Miles Bennett for his daughter, Harriet and her husband, Irving. Irving was the secretary for an iron company who later became a coal dealer while Harriet took care of the mansion.
In 1902, the home was purchased by Thomas and Clementine Kreuzer, a prominent local family connected to the candle manufacturing business. Even at that early age, the house was considered historic.
The Kreuzer’s spent $40,000 to renovate the home that included a large carefully landscaped lawn with a deep porch to take in the view. Inside, the home consisted of an antique collection that was unmatched by anyone in Syracuse at that time. Most revered was the Kreuzer’s classic paintings that were showcased in a drawing room surrounded by eight massive windows. The family also installed a private telephone system that connected every part of the mansion.
While the structure was later redeveloped for Tubbert’s, the house never lost its beauty. Tragically, while operating as a new restaurant after the death of William and Rose, the home was destroyed by a fire in 1966. Today, at its former location sits the Court Street Arms apartment complex.